PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cleared to line up behind
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 20:37
ATCO Two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Spitoon,

The leaflet in question was locally produced by Heathrow and is about reducing time spent on the runway to ensure maximum runway utilisation. It is primarily for pilot education, but nonetheless contains useful background information for Controllers. If you want a copy e-mail me with your details.

TCAS Climb

I think the ICAO phraseology is cumbersome. What is the point of repeating the word "behind"? As I said, using "behind" is not the same as "after." "Line up behind" could be construed as inviting an aircraft to line up behind another aircraft which is still on the runway. If the second aircraft is significantly lighter than the first, then the jet blast could have devastating effects. Similarly, in the UK we do not say "cross behind." You may think the above scenario sounds far fetched, but such incidents have actually occurred. You have to cater for the lowest common denominator. Use of the word "after" implies that the second aircraft should line up after the first aircraft has begun his take off roll. It seems to me that some of the ICAO phraseology was written by non-native English speakers. I am not making a judgement as to which phraseology is "best," merely pointing out the reasons why the UK uses different terminology.