PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2013, 22:20
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Pitts - I suppose you could say REDL was a total loss of oil event, but that was the least of the problem and of course no run dry capability would have made the slightest difference.

Jim - no change of stance from my perspective. My beef about the 92 was primarily about the deceit in pretending it was the safest helicopter ever built and fully compliant with the relevant version of FAR29 when in fact there was fudging going on. And a reluctance for the then programme manager to tell the whole story.

I was quite happy flying the 332L for many years. And of course a facet of the current 225 debacle is that our crews are now flying around in 332Ls again, with no pretence of 30 mins "run dry". They are unhappy because of the step backwards in automation, speed, comfort and range /payload but not for the lack of 30 mins dry run.

I see 30 mins run dry as a "nice-to-have", not the be all and end all. 30 mins at 80kts doesn't necessarily get you to somewhere dry to land. Better to avoid loss of oil in the first place, eg by well designed oil systems (and filter housings!)

Last edited by HeliComparator; 29th May 2013 at 22:23.