PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Children of Magenta / Rage against the Machine
Old 29th May 2013, 16:54
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not actually seeing an A. vs. B. situation developing in the conversation here.

I'm seeing a lot of misunderstandings (including my own re: 767) about the Airbus FBW vs. traditional control layout, but given that the Airbus FBW technology is probably the most misunderstood application of technology to aviation in history, I guess that's not surprising. I'm also seeing a worrying lack of understanding as to the fact that FBW and FMS (including automation) are completely separate concepts - especially in the original poster.

RRR's concerns that he still finds the flight control system on the Airbus FBW series to be something of a "black box" are perfectly reasonable, but then even with the old electro-mechanical and electro-hydraulic control systems, it was a rare FE, let alone pilot, who understood the principles of cam setup and gearing used within them. Maybe it's a question of there being a generational mistrust of digital computing technology over and above the old mechanical setup?

Of course, saying that, reading HTBJ it becomes apparent that pilots of the era were muttering darkly about the old stick-push mechanisms for much the same reasons...

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 29th May 2013 at 17:43.