PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 29th May 2013, 15:42
FlyingHabit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTC Miami

Attended the Miami selection. The previous gouges were very precise. Brief intro from CTC, brief history, plans and benefits for FlyDubai. Go into group assessment: first project was to assess How can we as flight crew help FlyDubai with its future growth and success. Next project was the moon landing scenario. The key for both group projects is teamwork, make valid points, and respect your group member's points. Next was the PILAPT, much easier than the online practice. Some had lunch, our group only had about 10 minutes before next round. They split the group just like on American Idol and let you know if you made it. 5 out of 16 moved on.

Next round is the HR interview. Very straightforward, just have your scenarios in mind, but don't be too scripted. Use proper interview technique and this is no problem. I guess the interviewer was not very distracted with my stomach participating(no lunch) in the interview because I moved on. 4 out of 5 moved on.

The sim next morning. Different from what I expected but: take off from muscat, level at 3000', a few right turns, transfer controls and brief the ILS, the sim freezes, given back the controls, and then vectored for the approach. Key is to slow down and get configured. Go down to minimums and then told to go-around, on the go-around given an engine failure. Stabilize aircraft, run checklists, declare emergency and shoot the published missed. All of this is raw-data, no autopliot, no auto throttles, or flight director. No visible sign of results given from sim evaluator.

I got my rejection letter 2 days later. I was pretty disappointed about the rejection because I was sure I had it. I can't say that I flew it to perfection, but I can say that I was on altitude, on airspeed, made some s-turns on the ILS but never more than 1/4 scale deflection on loc or g/s; handled the engine failure pretty well, and shot the missed approach as published. But what I did certainly screw up was I didn't remember the immediate actions checklist until after I had gotten the aircraft cleaned up and climbing.

But more surprising to me was my sim partner didn't make it either. I can certainly tell you that he flew that thing to perfection and was excellent as the PM. So, overall I can't say anything bad about CTC, as previously mentioned but I don't know what they're looking for. I wasn't perfect and didn't make it, but my sim partner was perfect (in my opinion) and didn't make it either. So, maybe I'll try again once I get over the rejection. Also, no one from our Miami assessments made it beyond the sim.