PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford standards slip
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 18:24
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 226 Likes on 87 Posts
The school I went to for Multi and IR had 4 instructors and 5 aircraft. Thats a good ratio!

The CFI's office was next door to the students recreation room and his wife manned the front desk and took the money as and when.

The CFI was in the habit of talking to every student at least once a week and would walk every one over to the CAA test centre.

It was excellent for me - who by this time had 1,000hrs instructing. They had a naff A4 folded pamphlet for advertising. Were housed in a circa 1950's asbestos roof old shed with moss on the walls. Instructors wore a broad spectrum of pilots uniforms.

It was excellent.

It was cheap.

It was small.

It was overlooked by hundreds of people each year who chose a much flashier FTO on the same airfield with cool brochures, free coffee and swish looking livery on both their aircraft and their instructors.

I only mention this as an illustration of how difficult it can be to find an FTO that will work well for you. Only a year earlier I went to a FTO for a BCPL and FI rating that was poor value, gave poor service and suited me not at all. I have no monopoly on flight training wisdom.

Suffice to say, time spent in reconnaisance is rarely wasted.

Good luck,