PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Base and Communications Flight, things of the past?
Old 28th May 2013, 23:18
NutLoose

Received 2,937 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Ahhh the Pembroke, as a young AC NL I learnt to Marshall with one of those at Saint Athans Coff, and was taught to swing a prop with a Bassett, again at Saints, thankfully never to be done again, even though I do piston stuff these days..

Pembroke a bit later on miraculously became a flier again and departed the school....
Nearest I ever got to one again was doing a Jag engine change next to one at Gut, it had flown in to do a medevac and threw a cylinder on take off covering the side in thick black oil and scaring the stretchered patient. Took them a while to fix as one of the guys doing it asked his mate to throw a screwdriver up to him and he never caught it.... It dissapeared straight down through the open cap into i think the oil tank lol... Took a couple of days to get it out and get the pot done

I also as a Civi i did repairs on the then BBMF Devon cowlings, all the intake scoops were age hardened and cracked, so we asked the RAF if they had new ones we could fit whilst it was stripped for paint.... Yes was the answer, we will sell them to you, you fit them, then bill us for them, needless to say that went down like a lead balloon and it never happened, so rather than a smart looking job it left with dirty great ugly patches nailed onto them before paint... Sigh

Didn't they used to put a couple of aircraft on a UK circuit near Christmas to help folks get home for the holidays in the 50's come 60's?

Last edited by NutLoose; 28th May 2013 at 23:22.