PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2013, 22:14
henra

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SpazSinbad
'henra' - not having flown either the F-35 nor Phantom myself - perhaps you will find this article interesting? [replace 'a's in 'blagspat' with 'o's] Other parts may be of interest (not with Toom as an example).

The F-35 and the Infamous “Sustained G” Spec Change: Part 3 by SMSgt Mac 26 May 2013

http://elementsofpower.blagspat.com....g-spec_26.html
Unfortunately I can't get the Link to work for me neither.

Yes I know the sustained 4,6g wasn't sea Level. I think it was 15kft and M0,8 which is probably a bit too low for the high wing loading.
At lower Level the high wing loading might hurt sustained turn rate a bit less.
I guess best sustained turn rate (and g) at S/L should be somehwere around 450kts or even higher for the A. At 15kFt that would push you deeply into the transonic region where drag and Center of Lift changes will hurt.
So this more practical figure will increase the spread between low and high wing loading designs. Obviously an aircraft with an already high wing loading will duely suffer for any weight increase in this area. QED.

So yes, I was exaggerating a bit. But still it adds some perspective to the (Non-) Progress achieved in 50 Years of aeronautical development.

Last edited by henra; 28th May 2013 at 22:18.