PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F15 Court Martial (Merged thread)
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 18:01
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spot & Family,

Having just left the Service after 36 years of flying, I have been following the events of the past weeks. No doubt we have conversed over the R/T on many occasions in my time flying Nimrods, Canberras et al... I have been appalled at the turn of events. I believe that this whole affair should never have seen the light of day - it smacks of mis-placed political correctness.

Since the beginning I could not understand the need for this action. RIS is clearly defined and I could not figure how you could have been castigated to the extent you suffered. As a professional, it mattered not a jot whether I was under RIS, RAS or Control - it was up to me to decide the safety of my crew. Like 'do you mean turn left instead of right?' (Italian ATC in hilly area - 'sorry, turn left...') Avoid the hill -

I have always have had a tremendous respect for the ATC part of the team - for that's what we are.

I am so sorry that you and your family have been put through this ordeal - it should never have happened. I am delighted that you have been so rightly exhonerated - now get on with your life.

However, stuff the RAF for ALL your costs - sue them for every penny you can screw out of them - you thoroughly deserve it.

Malcolm, although we don't know each other, I would just like to say how much I am delighted with the verdict, and how much I admire the dedication and professionalism of the ATC Branch.

We are a team.....