PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded due to stress, anxiety
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2013, 19:25
TOGA 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Thats life,

what you describe is more common than you might think. At least 50% of people might develop fear disorders or panic attacks due to excessive exposure to stress for a long period of time during life. Some will develop agarophbia (fear of places) or even fear of fear. It's not a sign of mental disorder. Don't forget that in our profession we are continuously exposed to stress. Add to that more stress from family, personal life situation and the chance of developing a temporary psychological disorder is pretty high.

All that is curable.

The first step is to recognize and admit the problem. Seek for help, don't hide it. Your health is more important than any other thing. To you and your family.

Why do I write all this? I just went trough the same.

I tried to carry on for a few weeks. Up to the point I taught I was getting crazy.
I called up my CAA which temporarily grounded me. I went trough psychotherapy and got my medical back after 6 weeks!

I think you are doing the right thing, and I'm sure (if you really want to) you will go back flying.

All the best to you and all our fellow colleagues being in this situation. Be positive, admit the problem and tackle it