PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Children of Magenta / Rage against the Machine
Old 28th May 2013, 15:24
Greek God

Mmmmm PPruuune!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having tried both, my gripe with AB is its quirkyness, and the fact as a pilot you only get what AB deems important, until something happens that is! (LH incident)
Magenta generally is what is commanded - why does the speed bug move to Vapp when flaps are deployed? Surely it should overlay F indications?
I hate the static thrust levers with AT engaged especially in gusty conditions with GS mini. Actually wound up doing a GA from an approach when AT was slow to react and PF moved thrust levers forward past CLB giving GA mode. Never mind GS mini was still commanding 30kts above Vapp!
Hate being PM on a gusty approach as you can't see / help / follow through on the controls plus you do certainly get pitch coupling as the system changes from NL to Landing mode.
But every aircraft has its foibles and you have to accept understand and live with them, however, if its all gone to rats**t I do prefer to have direct control of the beast, not through some interface which can modify my input. Why do AB treat Direct Law as there dragons be? It's the law under which all other aircraft I've ever flown have operated!
As mentioned before 90% of the time it's great but you need to have your wits about you in abnormal situations as sometimes things be less than logical!