PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should QANTAS change their fuel policy?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2013, 14:41
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derfer. Tell us your plan then?

So what you are saying is if qf find themselves in the unfortunate situation of an a/c going wheels up they should ditch beside a perfectly ok taxiway ? You sound like the old wives tail crew ditching instead of autoland.
WTF?

If QF find themselves in the unfortunate situation of an a/c going wheels up they should follow whatever is the safest course of action at the time.

My post wasn't about what you do if you find yourself in a pickle, my post was about avoiding that pickle in the first place. To do that, we appear to have 3 basic protections:

1. The regs (CASA)
2. Company policy (QF)
3. The pilots (note I didn't say Captain - it's a team in our cockpit)

If the CASA and QF reckon it's ok to turn up at CNS on a dark night with 30 mins, I would hope the pilots would load a bit more on. I happen to know at least 1 pilot who wouldn't, and he's the one I'm worried about.

He's the one the regs and the company policy should be there to protect the travelling public from.

Luckily it hasn't happened to him yet, so he hasn't had to land on CNS taxiway. I hope it doesn't happen to him. If it does - he'll be front page news on every newspaper in the world in what could otherwise have been just another hum-drum diversion to TSV along with all the other jets.

The other 99.x% of us don't have to worry because we wouldn't put ourselves in that situation in the first place. But I do worry about him. And I'm not saying you are him, but he is out there and I would prefer it if either the regs or the Company would protect him. And I think his F/O's would agree.