PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short Field Landings
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 16:57
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low speed / high power approaches aren't the way to do it. You have a bad view, make lots of noise, and expose yourself to risks of downdrafts or turbulence. If you're flying a flat, high-power approach at a lower than normal speed, you don't have much margin to modify your approach path; extra power isn't going to give you much of a climb, especially if you are heavy.

I have never flown a Cherokee 6, so my comments may not be applicable to you. I do quite a few short field landings though. My approach is:
  • The aircraft is going to touch down at essentially the same speed whether you fly a high power flat approach, or a normal approach. The important point is to touch down at the earliest possible point in the field.
  • Once you have identified where you want to touch down, you can determine an aiming point, which is where the aircraft would hit the ground if you didn't flare. The distance between the aiming point and the touchdown point depends on the wind, the speed at which you flew the approach, and the aircraft's characteristics. (Again, a reserve - in the aircraft I fly you can safely reduce power to idle well before touchdown, so the distance flown between aiming point and touchdown point is not affected by power setting.)
  • Once you've identified your aiming point, you fly a normal approach towards it, using flap and power settings that gives you the greatest flexibility. (In the planes I fly, that means full flap and usually 1500-1700 rpm. With that I can correct downwards by reducing power and sideslipping, and correct upwards by adding power). The speed should be whatever speed you've chosen that's going to take you from your aiming point to your touchdown point.
  • If your speed is too high on the approach, keep flying towards the aiming point, and reduce power a bit. If speed is too low, add some power. But don't stop focusing on the aiming point.
  • Once you start to flare, there's virtually nothing to stop you touching down at minimum speed right on your chosen touchdown point. It just takes a bit of experimenting to be able to choose the right aiming point.