PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You knew it was only a matter of time...
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2013, 09:05
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airbus mentality was always that the pilots should let the autopilot 'take the strain' whenever possible. As the computers took all votes from flying surfaces to the pilot input and then democratically (in a French way) allocated the control surfaces, in whatever magical way it did, to what the computers considered best the A/P is considered king.

Now picture a dark night approach into Berlin. We elected to keep the A/P in for the approach as it would 'aid SA' in good trainers parlance. So, imagine our surprise when the A/P flew through a squall line (no option, the line was over 150 miles long), rolled to 65 degrees AOB and automatically activated the A/P disconnect as we rapidly passed various limits!

Luckily we were already in the process of overriding the A/P as it rapidly rolled past 45 degrees so the disconnect was inevitable. Now take away the second pair of eyes or even the first pair of eyes and allow the software engineers to dictate what is or isn't acceptable. Frightening. Remember, with protections Airbus shouldn't exceed 30 AOB.

I'm approaching the end of my flying career and I don't envy those who take what was once a profession forward as a 'job'. Personally I won't be getting on an aircraft with <2 pilots (even if the child of the magenta line in the RHS has paid more for their seat than I have for mine! )