PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford standards slip
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 16:16
Dr.Evil 2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facts facts facts

Ok, I'll try and give some info on all of my experiences at OATS. Firstly, I must say I have no bad feeling toward Oxford or anyone there. I had overall a pretty ok time, passed everything first time but had to fight my way through the Oxford system pretty damn hard.
Groundschool went smoothly, CPL in Tyler went smoothly too, my problems started with the commencement of my IR training. Lack of aircraft, tech aircraft, aircraft being taken offline to be sent to Tyler, too many students per instructor etc etc.
Im not saying that these problems are unique to Oxford but it was the way they dealt with the problems that for me, made them very unprofessional.
Now I knew for a fact there were some instructors with 4 and even 5 students, now there were many other problems that I noticed at Oxford which if ya'll want I will write and go into detail later. When I had an arranged meeting with Mr Langley, he denied this and his words were that it was "impossible" that some instructors had more than 3 students. Well I can tell you that they sure as hell did.
Basically, without going on and on the way the whole place is managed is a joke. Now I come from 6 years experience in a management role with a major carrier and I can tell you it is a shambles there.
Granted they are trying to sort it all out but maybe you can ask them if their fees have risen to cover the cost of their "new company image" which for those of you there know has meant new uniforms, name badges, decor, glossy marketing adds and the like.
Now as for them getting you a job..........make up your own mind regarding that one!

One last thing i'd like to add is that you all have the right to pick and choose who to pay your hard earnt (or borrowed) cash to and train with.
In my opinion there is no ideal FTO. When I was deciding who to train with I visited them all, spoke to them many times, spoke to current students etc.
The advise I have to all of you deciding who to train with is this.......
Thoroughly evaluate all your options, make your choice and go for it but do expect problems and hurdles and deal with them, do not let any company take you for a ride.

Cheers