PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oman Air Pilot Recruitment (Merged Threads)
Old 27th May 2013, 22:20
flexicuffs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ironbird,

I have a friend at Oman Air and was told they are apparently receiving an order of 6 737NG next year and will be requiring crew. Oman government has instructed Oman Air to localise their work force so they have a cadet program in place but don't vet their new cadets properly resulting in a high failure rate. All new cadets are Omani and a majority of them don't make it through to line F/Os. With exception to a few, those that do make it through wouldn't make it at other airlines without extensive additional training (spoon feeding). Because of improper screening for local cadets, Oman Air HR department has no choice but to hire experienced expat F/Os as a cover up. The HR department in Oman Air has the final say on which pilots get hired unlike most airlines where Flights Ops has the final say.
Command opportunities for F/Os are slim too due to Localising pilot work force. Current practice is Command interviews are delayed until local F/O meets command upgrade requirements to bypass less senior expat F/O that already meets upgrade requirements. Smart way for legal upgrade bypass. I hear some expat F/Os have been waiting 6 years and still no interview dates set.
Beware if you do choose to go for the interview. Some people or agencies claim they can guarantee you a job with Oman Air for a fee of 1 months salary. Suspicion someone in HR has a little something happening on the side to cashin on desperate job seekers
Also just heard from my friend there that everyone is pissed off with their CEO because he's being steamrolled by the chairman of the Airline to increase their staff travel fares. This is being done as a penalty for the Chairman's son not getting a seat on a flight which he checkin late for resulting in his seat being given to another staff.This should give you an idea of how the airline is managed/operated and what to expect if you get the job.