PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 27th May 2013, 20:26
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good posts (and bad).

4Dogs – # 1906 '"If an agency fails to protect the relevant Minister from embarrassment, then (in betting terms) the "fix" will soon be "in"!"
See 004 #1908 post - "a good idea in theory"; pretty much gives the juxta position. It's the ability of a department or Minister to influence 'the watchdogs watchdog' that troubles me most. The concept is good; but even with my best, #1 rose coloured glasses, I just can't quite see how any individual, beholden to the Commonwealth, in a position of power, can be 'truly' independent from influence by either part, it's only human nature here not Solomon. Perhaps (and only thinking out loud here) we don't need an IG but an independent 'review panel' drawn from 'industry and ministry'; much like an industry Safety Management Committee, to publicly monitor progress, adjudicate matters like Barrier and evaluate industry concerns. Then folk like AMROBA who do seem to have genuine 'safety, administrative and cost' concerns could voice an opinion, argue the toss and accept the umpires ruling from a 'democratic' process; or at least as close to one as we'll ever get, given human nature and all.

Sarcs # 1907 – Nicely argued, it's rum when the crew writing the Ministers "policy" are the ones to implement it; and, when it all goes tits up, the Minister cops it. Nice work if you can get it. Thanks for the RRAT schedule. (roster changed, beers ordered).

004 # 1915 - I was thinking along the same lines. I note in the latest answers to QON, pot plants and the FAA had almost the same number of words in the reply. Pot plant and FAA expenditure "in the budget" and "all fixed" in two terse, one line replies. The FAA may well be happy with such an agnostic argument and caviller treatment; but let me assure you, the official auditors of Government Pot Plant are not, they are demanding real answers to very tough questions. Perhaps we can get a result at guestimates.

LS # 1917 – Expansion much appreciated, more patience than I have.,.,.,.

My Mama, when disturbed by noisy children playing after lights out, used to position at the bottom of the stairs and say in a quiet, but penetrating way "Boys if I have to come up there",--- - it always had an amazing effect, the almost instant modification of raucous, oft belligerent behavioural patterns. (Aside) Bloody goody two shoes girls never seemed to get a mention in despatches though, wonder why??....... - Aye, it's all passing strange.

Last edited by Kharon; 27th May 2013 at 20:39.