PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2013, 17:42
Dimitris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have there been instances that a pilot has spoted an open or 'unlatched' cowl? What happens in that case? Ground crew is called to take care of it or the pilot actually closes the cowl/latch and up we go? (please tell me that ground crew is called in....)

Maybe instead of checking for a 'closed cowl' check for a 'latched cowl'. An unlatched cowl looks closed anyway. Maybe have pilots take a trip to the hangar during maintenance and have them open and close (latch) them. It would only take 5' of 'training'. Any sensible person will understand what they need to look and check once they know how the thing actually works.

I'm not saying pilots should be mechanics or vice versa, but if pilots are asked to check specific external features of the aircraft they should know how they actually work. A cowl that is not latched is not closed even if there is no gap.

As an SLF with technical background, I see how a cowl can be left unlatched once a year and I don't see any serious problem with that, sh*t happens! Were I see a problem is in people believing that ticking boxes and signing next to them if they don't know what they are actually looking for. That's not up to the pilots. What the pilot should say is: 'hey, you want me to check the cowl is latched? SHOW me how its latched by the people that actually latch it, so that I know when its not and I call you back to latch it'.

Do I make sense or should I delete this? Fly safe anyway!!