PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Hastings crash due multiple birdstrikes at Darwin in the Fifties
Old 27th May 2013, 13:57
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...incolnJL-1.jpg

Sorry about the link which was supposed to be displayed directly as picture rather than a link. Am always having strife trying to transfer photobucket photos on to a Pprune page and rarely succeed. I took this photo of a RNZAF Hastings which was over Arnhem Land en-route Amberley RAAF Base to Darwin. We were flying a Lincoln Mk 31 (Long Nose) and had conducted a planned practice SAR intercept of the Hastings. We were Darwin based on SAR duties. We knew its ATD Amberley and its ETA Darwin and departed Darwin to the NE. Some time later the navigator did a fine job of planning the intercept and we spotted the Hastings below us.

I asked him on VHF if we could formate and take a photo. He gave the OK and this was the result. Our main problem was the Hastings cruised about 20 knots faster than our Lincoln, so we used the height advantage and dived to come alongside of him with a good closing speed. The captain of the RNZAF Hastings was Flight Lieutenant Flak. I wonder if he is still around although he would be 85 plus by now.

Last edited by Centaurus; 27th May 2013 at 14:16.