PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too old for training??
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2001, 13:43
rock_the_tower

Thumbs up

NigelS

I started flying with 33 after spending hours and hours on the weekends at the airports and spotting planes. After the first few hours of flying a C172, "the virus" spread all over my small brain and I decided to go for the frozen ATPL (CPL/IR/ME all included)but also on the modular route. It took me three years to complete everything paralell to my job and ended up with 230 hrs total including 50 ME on a Seneca. Turning 36 I submitted my application to CROSSAIR in Switzerland, was invited and GOT THE JOB !!
Now I am in the type transition course on the Embraer-145 as a first officer being on line somewhere around the end of August this year. It is JUST GREAT and I never want to do anything else again !
I have a MSc & PhD in materials engineering and spent several years in industry gaining "life experience" which is very valuable for airlines.
On the first day at Crossair one of the instructors told our class (16 of us) that Crossair has had very good experience with "older" F/Os (>30).Maturity and life experience also are taken into account. It is not only the hours in total which count.
Also consider the fact, that at 30 or above the chances are quite good to start the first airline job without any debts since you could save some money to pay for all training. This really makes you sleep better (at least I do !)
However, I tip my hat in front of the younger guys out there who have quite some high debts but really "the right stuff" and a lot of courage for the first airline job. By taking such a high financial risk (from my point of view) they really show a strong dedication for their first job !!
Finally, I think there is no golden rule to get a job in an airline. If you really want it, you will get it. You certainly need some luck. Combine this with desperate will and dedication, you will be the winner !
I was very lucky and got a job right after finishing my training. Thank god for this !

Stop talking about age, if you want to fly, DO IT and you'll get it !

Wish you all the best endurance and luck !

rtt