PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2013, 11:13
average-punter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sebflyer

I remember being in your position very well, so I guess that's why I have a bit of sympathy! I'm a few years older than you, so will give you a little bit of advice (or rather what I did). It most certainly is not the only way.

When I was your age I knew that this is the career I wanted and was determined to get it. I spent hours reading through this forum, looking at FTO websites and making an effort to go to open days and the flyer exhibition at Heathrow. I also realised whilst at school that getting a flying job would be very difficult so I quickly worked out the easiest way to a job would be through a cadet programme. I then began researching airlines and seeing how they recruited low hour pilots. Whilst I was doing my a-levels I knew I needed to try and stand out from the crowd and really show my dedication to flying to stand a chance in being selected for one of the programmes. So I began washing aircraft at my local airfield and often hung around in the airfield cafe. Through that I became involved with a charity that offers heavily subsidised flying for the disabled and I volunteered there for a while and I still do.

My bit of advice for you that I think is the most important based on personal reflection is get involved in as many activities as possible at your school/college. I didn't and wasn't keen at all, I arrived as late as I could at school and left as early as I could. In hindsight it hasn't hindered me too much but it would have given me far more to talk about in interviews than I did before I started working full time. I had a part-time job whilst at college and I highly recommend getting one once you're 16. There is loads going on at schools and I should definitely have made more of my time there. I have found that whilst going through interview processes that airlines today are very keen on the 'softer skills'. How do you work in a team? What is your leadership style? bla bla you get the idea.

I left college and started working full time at my local leisure centre for a few months then got a cabin crew job which I'm still doing now. I'm fortunate enough to have a place on a cadet programme and I start training at the end of the year.

The easiest route to becoming a pilot? Well I guess that depends on a whole host of variables. I'm not there yet but my route so far has been.

- School

- College (a-levels)
- Part time job (whilst at college)

- Cleaning aircraft and volunteering
- Leisure centre
- Cabin crew

Once you've finished college perhaps consider getting a job in the industry if uni isn't for you? It will give you some great experience

Best of luck mate!