PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2013, 09:09
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Mikleour, Fireflybob:

I am not sure, dont think, the fire handle WAS pulled on WE. When I joined BOAC on the VC 10 it was stressed that there was only ONE way to shut an engine down in the event of fire/failure etc. The drill was always to complete the fire drill upto the point if firing a shot into the engine ( no fire indication, no shot). It was explained that this was the result of the WE accident when there were numerous ways of shutting down an engine, with all crew members involved, and everyone on WE thought someone else had actioned the fire handle. Remember that very clearly even after 40 years.

When my own critical failure arrived (failure of the HP turbine on a v heavy take off for NBO on a v warm night not long after we had passed the 400 feet height, the minimum BA height for any action) everything went like clockwork using that drill and the engine failure became almost a non event.

Perhaps it IS time to fit a warning system on the ecam to advise if cowls are unlocked, even on my car, unless doors are fully closed I get a warning and it won't allow me to engage drive.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 27th May 2013 at 09:19.