PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2013, 09:06
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the end you knowingly flout the rules to enable the task to be completed in a timely fashion."
Classic "Human Factors" cause of consequent error. Just shows that almost 10 years of HF training for maintenance staff is as nothing if the organisation is such that this kind of thing is tolerated (at best, or even encouraged (at worst).

The reason that all the training has been wasted, in the UK at least, is that the CAA has, as always, failed to do anything effective to make sure that organisations actually have a good HF programme that highlights issues just like this and then does something to eliminate them. All the average Surveyor wants to see is a neat pile of certificates for HF courses so that he cam tick the box marked "Complies with HF Requirements" while ignoring the fact that the organisation does nothing of the sort.

Now thew CAA has produced one of the most fatuous documents I have ever seen emanating from SRG, about its HF strategy for the next decade, apparently completely independent of EASA and ICAO, full of fluffy management-speak. I pretty much switched off when I got to how we are all going to go on a journey together; that was on Page One, and it gets worse.

There's a glamorous pic of the now-departed Gretchen to decorate this piece of nonsense, but that's all you can say for it.

Sorry, it's not actually thread-drift although it might seem like it. Whatever happened to the flight in question, it is likely that human error was the cause, and the the root cause is the organisational culture, NOT the deliberate flouting of instructions/procedures by any one person. But will anything be done apart from lots of meetings? Don't hold yor breff.