PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clmb performance following an engine failure during or after acceleration
Old 27th May 2013, 04:58
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
If there is a further limitation, or one more critical than initial OEI path, the RTOW analysis should have considered this.
Whatever it may be, the optimum performance to clear terrain (assuming no close-in turns are required) will be at MCT, clean, at Vfto/Ver. So, once the acceleration altitude has been reached, that is the aim of the game - get it cleaned up, select MCT before the engine take-off limitation is busted and continue to climb and turn etc as necessary.

If close-in turns are required, the special departure or emergency procedure will detail these. If turns must be commenced below acceleration altitude, the usual practice is not less than V2 to V2 + 10, 15 degrees bank angle and complete the turn - even if in so doing the aircraft achieves something greater than the acceleration altitude. The acceleration and clean up is usually done wings-level, i.e. not while in the emergency turn.

Sometimes I get asked "what if the emergency turn direction is one way and the SID or radar heading is in another direction?" This is where common-sense needs to come into play. If below acceleration altitude at the time of the failure, go for the emergency turn direction. If acceleration altitude has been achieved, complete the clean up, declare an emergency and turn away from the limiting terrain if the SID is taking you where you don't want to go, otherwise fly the SID. Critical SIDs will publish a minimum climb gradient, so you should have already considered that anyway and have a quick way of computing it in your brain by looking at your groundspeed and IVSI to know if you can make it. There are too many airports, too many variables to lay down hard and fast rules, but that one works for me.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 27th May 2013 at 05:22.