PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 27th May 2013, 00:18
ventus45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish correctly notes in post 1901 <http://www.pprune.org/7863539-post1901.html> that
The great Australian public either don't know about air safety or don't care or both.
The reason, is simply, ignorance.

Due to the great work of many 40, 50, and 60 years ago, aviation was made safe. It has been so safe for so long, that people under fifty today don't know that it is inherently dangerous to fly at 800kph up where you can't breathe and would freeze to death in a minute or two. They see catching a plane as little different to catching a train.

The issues are simply not on their radar.

In the club that I now work at, when the “Air Accident Investigation” programs come on TV, it is mostly the older men who want to watch it, and ask me to put it on, or if already on, turn up the volume. If the TV just happens to be on the channel, when these programs come on, if no over fifty patrons are present, the under fifty people almost always ask me to change the channel, to virtually anything else, and have a tendency to spit the dummy if I don't.

The same attitude applies to this Senate Inquiry and the report.

Like all here, I downloaded it and read it front to back as soon as I could. Over the weekend, whilst working at the club, I mentioned it to, and discussed it with some of the older people. A few old blokes said they wanted to read it. When I told them it was available on line a few asked for the link, so I went into the office during lunch, logged on, cut and pasted the links to a word doc, made the print size 20, and printed a few out. I distributed six to the “interested” public, out of approximately, say 200 people, over the two days. So, on this sample, a 3 percent “interested” rate.

There is your proof Sunfish.