PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUSTRALIAN AIRLINES - Beware the Trojan Horse
Old 25th Feb 2003, 12:51
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
AUSTRALIAN AIRLINES - Beware the Trojan Horse

The latest I hear from Australian Airlines is as follows:

Sydney Airport welcomes Australian Airlines

The decision by Australia’s newest international carrier, Australian Airlines, to schedule international flights out of Sydney has been welcomed by Sydney Airport as a move that will contribute to promoting Australia as a tourist destination within the wider Asia-Pacific region.

Sydney Airport Chief Executive, Max Moore-Wilton, said the decision by Australian Airlines would enable international visitors flying with the carrier from Asian destinations to access flights to other Australian holiday destinations once they had arrived at Sydney.

Australian Airlines announced today that by the end of July the new international carrier would be operating three services a week from Sydney to Bali. In addition, Australian Airlines will also commence return services six times a week between Sydney and Cairns, offering seamless transits for inbound passengers travelling from Asia and Japan. (isn't Japan in Asia?)

Sydney Airport accounts for approximately half of all international passengers arriving in Australia, and around one third of all domestic air traffic. As such, it provides an ideal hub for any destination within the country, providing access to a number of domestic and regional airlines.

Mr Moore-Wilton said that the additional traffic to be generated from the Australian Airlines Sydney schedule would further add to a trend that has seen improvement over the past months. He said the Australian Airlines concept of a full service international leisure carrier would also contribute to broadening customer choice.

Australian Airlines decision to extend its schedule to include direct flights to and from Sydney Airport follows the decision last year to locate its head office in Sydney in close proximity to the airport precinct.

News Sydney Airport welcomes Australian Airlines
Date February 25th, 2003
Source Sydney Airport Corporation and 'Oz Flight'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I do remember suggesting that Australian Airlines was going to be used as a trojan horse to secretly bring in very cheap labour on whichever routes Geoff Dixon wanted. But NO, Mr. Dixon assured all that Australian Airlines would only ever operate on routes not deemed viable by Qantas. AA would not take over Qantas routes.

So given the following from the Qantas schedule:

QF029 SYD 1105 DPS 1410 0/763 6h05min
QF 030 DPS 2255 SYD 0740 + 1 Day 0/763 5h45min

How does this equate?

Again I would stand by my assertation that Qantas crew need to be wary of Australian Airlines. Qantas simply need to 'pull out' of a route one day and Australian could take over the next. What control do you have? All of a sudden a great slab of your flying & promotional prospects is being shunted of to AA and bingo you have no control over your destiny.

This may sound melodramatic but suggest you heed this now before it is too late. Where will the offloading of flying stop?
---
Just as an addendum, have flown on AA and it is absolute rubbish. Still costs a Sh1tload to fly with them but for less service. Thay claim they are not a low-cost airline (and their airfares prove that) but the inflight service is bare-bones basic. Trying to be a Virgin but without the low airfares. No ice in drinks unless requested - please!

The formula is inappropriate. If you get low service you should pay low fares. The minute a Virgin Blue International operates on these routes, I'm switching, provided they are cheaper (should be easy enough). Not whinging, just stating the case as I see it. C'mon Dennis and Andrea, you can do better.