PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F15 Court Martial Updates
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 12:27
DICK DOLEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spot found NOT GUILTY on all charges !!!!

Justice has prevailed and this record breaking CM is now over. Before going on to the press releases made separately by Spot , Sue, and the Guild of Air Traffic Controllers, I would like to express some very big ‘thanks’, on behalf of the support group, to the major players in Spot’s defence.

Firstly, our sincere gratitude to Mike Jones QC. We christened him the ‘The Master’ and I don’t think you will ever find a better man to represent a defence case over an aviation issue. Both he and Alasdair Gillies (the lawyer assisting Mike in court) had obviously carried out a huge amount of research prior to the case. They worked magnificently as a team. To watch Mike Jones QC in action was both a joy and a privilege, no wonder this man holds silk in both England and Scotland. To have flown Phantoms in a previous life was obviously an advantage, that aside, he totally outgunned and outwitted the prosecution. His cross-examination technique was something to behold and the atmosphere in the courtroom when he had the stand was electric. Mike Jones QC , we salute you, our ‘learned friend’ !

Secondly, our thanks to Craig Penrice (Test pilot). Craig was the first expert witness for the defence. Craig had delved very deeply into the whole accident and it was he who drew the previously ignored eyewitness reports together. In my view, it was his combined evidence that was pivotal in the prosecution having to change their theory of events in mid CM.

Thirdly, our thanks to Wing Commander Chris Foster (ATC), the second expert witness for the Defence. He answered the crucial questions that were the legal tests of negligence. The Prosecution vilified him for supposedly giving ‘partisan’ evidence on behalf of the defence. This was absolute rubbish! If he could be accused of being ‘partisan’ then it was only in defence of RAF air traffic control as a whole. This man stuck his neck on the block for Spot and the whole of RAF Air Traffic Control. He gave his honest opinion that was in accord with that of every coalface controller that I know. RAF ATCOs have a senior officer of whom they should be very proud.

Lastly, we must thank The Guild of Air Traffic Controllers whose financial support made this defence possible. The Guild has continued to offer the very best of moral support and has pledged to investigate how this case ever got to become a CM. Our particular thanks to Richard Dawson (Guild President) who has taken a very personal interest in this CM.

I know that everyone will want the answer to this question.........The JA has recommended that 'all reasonable' costs should be met by the Crown. He reminded us that the costs incurred in the use of a QC should fall under this heading. This was agreed by the Crown Prosecutor.

Dick Doleman

(Over 50,000 visits to our forums on Pprune – awesome stuff ! “Have a good day sir !” )

Press release from Spot……………….

A Court Martial has cleared RAF air traffic controller Flight Lieutenant Malcolm (Spot) Williams of causing the deaths of two United States Air Force pilots whose F15 jets crashed into Ben Macdui during a snowstorm in March 2001.

The Court Martial was held at Helensburgh and lasted for 21 days, the longest Court Martial in history. Following the verdict today , Flight Lieutenant Williams said “My sympathy and thoughts go to the families of the two pilots who lost their lives in this tragic accident; their loss will be inconsolable”.

I am very happy and relieved by today’s verdict. The last two years have been extremely stressful for my family and me and we are now looking forward to returning to some sense of normality.

I am most grateful to my outstanding defence team who represented me throughout this rigorously thorough Court Martial. Through them I was able to answer all the allegations in public, ensuring that the cause of the accident was fully investigated and my innocence established.

I am pleased to emerge from this stressful experience completely exonerated and wish to thank my defence team and hundreds of supporters from all over the world. In particular I would like to express my thanks to my wife, friends and family’.

Spot Williams.

Press release from Sue ……….

“ There are no winners in this Court Martial – two fine fighter pilots have lost their lives and our prayers continue to be extended to their wives and families. Furthermore, my husband and family have suffered extreme anxiety from a range of serious allegations over two years. Thirdly, the good name of the RAF has been tarnished.

We are exceptionally grateful to and humbled by the huge band of supporters - family, friends, colleagues in the RAF and from The High School of Dundee, the defence team, military and civil controllers and pilots from all over the world who have helped us through some very trying times. This massive support system has aided Spot to maintain strength and dignity throughout this ordeal.

I now look forward to participating in the Inquiry demanded by GATCO. This will be the most appropriate forum for me to discuss my thoughts about recent events.

Many people have battled for 23 months to clear Spot’s name. Whilst it has been rather like David fighting Goliath, we always knew that right was on our side and we are very relieved that the long struggle is finally over.”

Sue Williams

Press release from GATCO……

THE GUILD OF AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL OFFICERS

PRESS RELEASE

RESPONSE TO COURT MARTIAL VERDICT

Flight Lieutenant Malcolm ‘Spot’ Williams

The Guild of Air Traffic Control Officers is pleased to have supported Flight Lieutenant Williams throughout his ordeal and delighted that his Court Martial has now ended with him being acquitted of all charges.

He leaves this Court with his professionalism, conduct and character unblemished.

This brings to a close an unnecessary period of stress and trauma for himself, his family and the relatives of the pilots who lost their lives.

The evidence presented during the last four weeks has highlighted a need to revisit the Royal Air Force / United States Air Force arrangements to ensure that adequate safeguards and common procedures are in place for the conduct of low flying training and airspace management in United Kingdom airspace.

The Guild of Air Traffic Control Officers will continue to work with all air traffic service providers, civil and military, to achieve the highest levels of safety.

Finally, the Guild is seriously concerned that evidence available to the Court Martial appears to have been either ignored, or not accurately displayed, when presented by the Prosecution.

The Guild calls for an inquiry to determine whether this was accidental or deliberate.

This statement is issued on behalf of the President and Executive Board The Guild of Air Traffic Control Officers

For Further Comment / Information contact The President, GATCO

Richard Dawson

Tel /Fax 01628 672232
Mobile 07974 311293