PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should QANTAS change their fuel policy?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2013, 10:44
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Is qf 30??
At the end of the landing roll? Yes. However.....

In 18 1/2 years at QF I've landed with less than 45 minutes once- it was about 42 minutes of fuel. I've landed with less than 60 minutes on perhaps 10-20 occasions- always the subject of a discussion as to the how, what, why, etc.

Most days with benign weather most 767 drivers plan to land with at least 75 minutes*. If we suspect that holding is likely, whilst 75 minutes may take care of the 20 minutes plus fixed and variable and approach, etc, most crew will tack a bit on. Again, the intent is to land with 75ish minutes after finishing holding. This allows also a very sedate and extended 'circuit' in the various TMAs without having to sweat the fuel. A second go around may start to rise the eyebrows a bit though!

Most guys and gals take single runway destinations into the thought process.

So there is the law, which most crew never get within cooee of, and then there's what we carry. That still won't mean that with unforecast weather changes at the last moment that crew won't be caught out. I've ended up lobbing into Canberra on a forecast CAVOK MEL-SYD sector due unforecast TS at SYD.

*That's 1500' holding fuel too, not FL250 holding fuel.

Hope that helps.