PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 26th May 2013, 00:28
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
in my opinion, the fallout from this report which highlights very considerable organisational failings of ATSB and CASA, taken with the debacle at the AMROBA meeting, Canley Vale, Lockhart, Quadrio, Barrier and a host of other matters, is that no frontline CASA or ATSB staff are going to be able to look aviators and maintainers in the eye until both CASA and ATSB management are cleaned out and a new era begins.

I theeeenk (read pray) that Margaret Stalb was recruited to AsA in time to prevent them going down the same plughole as the other Two.

What concerns me now is low CASA and ATSB staff morale in the face of a possibly hostile industry. While I am quite familiar with regulatory capture, I am concerned that the reverse - a lack of genuine trust and cooperation between regulator and the regulated will set the stage for a major miscalculation on the part of one or more parties and a resulting serious aviation accident.

At the end of the day, CASA and ATSB have a job to do. It will do no good for the GA industry if through bloody mindedness, distrust and timidity we set up for another serious accident that will then be all our faults.

We need to be thinking of "positive mental attitude" and support CASA and ATSB on the assumption that they will make necessary and beneficial, adjustments to their policies. We need to do our level best to be helpful and compliant without being a doormat.

To put that another way, we need to do our best to get along as smoothly as possible and comply as best we can with the regulatory mess and pray that CASA will do likewise. Otherwise we become part of the problem.

Of course if there is no change from the regulator and ATSB then the relationships will worsen, with lethal results for the general public. This is why I pray that PM & C are supporting Mr. Mrdak.

Last edited by Sunfish; 26th May 2013 at 00:44.