PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Strikebreakers!
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2003, 10:44
AViON calling!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have read from the previous posts I sense a little threat. I hope this doesn't come to that.

I am not involved in this matter and thank god I am not. You are talking about a lot of people who have been out of permanent work for so long they would do anything to fly again. These guys are not in a position to say no. Think about when you first started flying. You would have jumped at the chance to do any flying and these guys who have flown with other airlines and lost their positions just want to get back there. They want to get their careers back and if there is an offer to do so, so be it! It may only be 3 days work but have you ever lost your dream job? It hurts and I'm sure you would do the same. If the only job you could secure was casual flying, and that is what they are, casuals, and you were offered any flying, because I know some are existing on 20hrs per month or less, of course you would take it. It's not about what they believe is right or wrong, it's about working to live. Hey, they need the money and they shouldn't be criticised for wanting to do so. How do you know if they said no to this offer their application for permanent work would be tossed aside. They dont know that. They want to do what they think is right for themselves. They are not permanent Qantas employees and probably have no idea what the hell you are fighting for. They just want their jobs back.

You have all been through a recruitment process, any denial of employment you have been given will be discussed and where does that put them, in the too hard basket and they may risk their opportunity of gaining permanent employment. "Oh you really want to fly but you turned down such and such an offer"?.

Yes it's a catch 22 situation, QF know they have people to call on, and if I was with you I would be with you all the way, but please dont bag these guys for trying to get ahead with their career.

Re the training, as MAMPOWER mentioned, a lot of crew are already trained in QF EP's and it's really only a version type difference. Yes 2 days seems short but I have done it in the past and it's not that hard. As MAMPOWER said they wont be alone as many CSM's are flying along with other experienced crew. You had a first flight once, they let you do it. But personally, if they are brand new crew, they shouldn't be crewing as primary after 2 days training. I agree with you there. If there was an issue with their training I'm sure the techies wouldn't allow the flight to go.

I'm with you all the way but understand the plight of the casuals.