PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 16:22
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAINES TRIDENT AND TODAY.

I thought that the control column was held/pulled fully back by PF, the captain in the G-ARPI accident. The inexperienced and not line trained P2 and P3 were inadequately placed and trained to intervene.

Yes, there was no CVR available but that accident allegedly speeded up their introduction and the speculation at the time was of a SA breakdown.

Granted at max ceiling the AoA is critical and there may be not a lot of displacement in the angle displayed between an undesirable and a normal condition, but maybe our test pilot comrades could comment on their accuracy/usefulness in heavy icing? It seems the probes have a symmetrical section, so possibly less likely to give erroneous readings as do the pitots.

I still seek opinion on their reliability, and therefore AoA readings, following ice accretion or an argument with our feathered friends.

The accidents due to static ports being taped up or otherwise obstructed may have been prevented by the presence of and competence in using AoA direct reading info.

My only current easily accessable info on this display is a page in Bulfer's "Noddys'" Guide to the 737NG and it appears to be a brilliantly useful option which has almost universally been ignored by the 'frame buyers/leasers.

Thank you for the BEA report quote, I haven't dared try to read it yet in case I retire to the darkened room and stay there in total despair..........................