PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 15:08
FlightCosting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeromec 3 said: Most engines, I have had the pleasure to work on, had axial (forward and aft) safety pin latches which engaged into the nose cowl and only after the eye bolt latches had been tensioned, (eg: classic B747 JT9D installation) they are omitted in this installation and I wonder why? As I recall, engine fan cowls are not the remit of the engine manufacturer; you certainly will not find them in their engine manuals or parts list; in IAE's interest, they should be jumping on the airframe pylon bods for a positive modification.

When aircraft manufacturers offer customers more than one power plant, the procedure is to put the responsibility of everything that hangs on the wing to the engine manufacturer including the nacelle with the guarantee that the powerplant package must deliver must deliver a pre contract installed SFC which the air frame manufacturer passes on to the customer. This allows Airbus/Boeing to pass the buck back to AEI/CFM if the customer says that the aircraft is burning more fuel than the FM or ops manual says. There was actually one aircraft where the airframe was designed around the engine - the IL76. The ministry of aviation had an engine, the D30k and told Ilyushin to build a transport aircraft around it.