PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning on new aircraft carriers.
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 11:56
eaglemmoomin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously Stuffy lighten up mate!

Can you point me to the bit in the report saying the Carriers are Lemons. I don't really think some bloke in a military museum is going to know stuff all about the carrier build.

I imagine QE probably has quite a bit of water in it too. The blocks are stored outside when delivered up at Roysth. I suggest rather than relying on the third hand heresay you peruse this

Flickr: QEClassCarriers' Photostream

How can the 'engines' be problematical when they haven't finished building them yet? The generators are Rolls Royce MT30's and they've only just installed the first one. The Diesels are Wärtsilä 38 diesels. The US LCS first of class has had problems and that has MT30 in but a) it's a totally different design b) it's a 40 knot speedster c) the Americans don't really use electric drive propulsion so FOC and 'new' technology to them and I'm not suprised they are having problems. We do use electric drive propulsion and well basically are not the Yanks.

I imagine that the transmission is the problem not the generators themselves which are based on the engines in the 777, or those dropping out of the sky regularly?

I think it's fairly clear that quite a 'bit' of water ingress is to be expected.

I mean the carrier build was delayed, then changed from STOVL to Cats and Traps and then back again all of that mucks about with the schedule and costs lots of money. The one year 'delay' cost 1 billion quid.

I can't imagine any report would be too favourable to the political and civil service led f'up'. I suggest you look up the evidence given to the Public Accounts Committee by Jon Thompson, Permanent Secretary, Bernard Gray, Chief of Defence Materiel and Air Marshal Stephen Hillier, Deputy Chief of Defence Staff, Military Capability, Ministry of Defence. Regarding the 2010 decision to get a flavour of what that report is talking about.

None of this is suprise. The report is basically re-repeating a bunch of stuff that everyone has known about since the moronic decision to fart about with an in build program that was taken in 2010. I really don't know why we now have to have four different reports/comittees basically all re-repeating information thats been known for the last three years.

It's nothing to worry about overly much the MOD structure has already been completely altered and DES is/will change a lot this is all out of the back end of the Gray Report which was published in 2009! We will only now how successful that has been at the end of the 10 year equipment plan (which includes the carriers).

Last edited by eaglemmoomin; 25th May 2013 at 12:01.