PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 09:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, at last some good contributions amongst all the bull!

Post #295 from AandC is well worth a read, as are some subsequent contributions from folks such as NigelonDraft who clearly knows his onions!

This incident will have been a case of all the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up. Or put another way, many of the contributing factors will be present on many days, but only rarely will they ALL be. I believe it has also been termed the 'accident chain'? No big single event caused this incident, but that is overwhelmingly also true in most. Any errors are relatively small, and all well understood, which is why we attempt to 'trap' them by having procedures to combat those pesky fallible humans that we ALL ARE!!!!

Somebody earlier said they wouldn't like to be the people most closely involved in this, as 'BA will come down hard'! In my personal experience you could not be more wrong! BA are an extremely mature and enlightened airline. The only time they would play hard ball is where they find wreckless negligence. I have seen absolutely no suggestion of that here, nor do I expect to.

Again in my personal experience, there will be a tendency for those most closely involved to beat themselves up. To them I say, don't. Even those pompous gobby idiots on here are only human.

An absolutely top job was done in the air. Of that all professionals can agree! Made me very proud to be fortunate enough to be doing this job.

Thank you.

Last edited by 4468; 25th May 2013 at 16:56.