PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Toxic' cabin air found in new plane study - Telegraph
Old 24th May 2013, 19:02
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One has to consider who really controls matters anywhere: follow the money and it is the big guns that pull the switches. Same in politics, same in most industries. When authorities start to tread on rich toes and make life difficult they can be warned/paid off; doesn't matter what the industry is.
Years ago there were studies & reports about cosmic radiation effect on aircraft and personnel. It was tested and some deemed it dangerous. There was no economic solution. Who has heard of those reports and where are they? Buried. For years there have been reports & studies about crew/engineer fatigue and ensuing incidents/accidents. No simple economic solution. Where are those reports? Buried. What has happened to working conditions? Worsened. Aeroplanes fly further = longer = extended FTL's necessary. What has happened? Extended FTL's. The basic human problem has never been addressed. More pax/a.c. flying longer sectors with less crews = more profit. QED! Engineering qualifications diluted. Maintenance schedules massaged. I look back over 38 years and most things have been diluted. Technology has improved enormously, yes, but it is not the saviour of everything. The human is still the root cause of most accidents in most industries. There is no doubt in my mind that company profit is foremost. If all rules were obeyed and crews worked to rule then the air-transport system would collapse. Should it be like that?
But that's another story. Should known dangers be allowed to be brushed under the carpet? Damn it, there is enough nasty stuff under there already. The biggest problem is that if it is agreed that there is a case to answer on health grounds for the crews then what about the zillions of pax who are flying? The industry could not survive such a scenario. The DVT was a scare. It did not include crews, only econ -pax. Why? The pax could at least walk about: we are locked into our box for hours, and for more hours/yr than any pax. Our lively-hood and health were never mentioned. Too inconvenient. That topic has disappeared. The airlines have issued warnings and tips about twiddling your toes. Has the problem disappeared?
I can only say I'm glad it is over; the slippery slope is getting slipperier every year. Many authorities do not seem to be helping reverse the trend. As with most reversals in the ways of managing worldly affairs it will take a major catastrophe for a wake up call. I can think of many aviation crashes that caused wake-up calls and changes. They didn't require too much money. I fear we are at the point where necessary changes in the way you operate and live your lives will require financial investment and greed will win in the short term. In the long term? I wont be around to see it. Bon chance.