PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 18:05
Dimitris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions!!

Can someone provide factual information on what is in general the SOP (if it varies) or manufacturer recommendation on an 'engine cowl release' while in flight? Does the engine have to shut down as precaution if there is no other indication of problem?

In plain words: On rotation cabin crew or tower informs the pilots that the cowl is off, is there a procedure that states 'shut engine immediately'? (I would doubt that, but I ask)

Can someone also explain what problems the cowl release creates? If no pipes/cables are shuttered and no impact on fuselage what is the aerodynamic/thermal effect on the engine/aircraft? I doubt there is any structural problem, small drag increase maybe (see below more questions if I may). Obviously there can be no certainty that all is OK, but does the cowl missing as a part create problem?

Does a missing cowl create any problem apart from aerodynamic inefficiency?
Someone mentioned earlier that missing cowl disrupts airflow and can lead to engine surge. Further explanation? Is that accurate?

(obviously non-pilot otherwise I would know what the SOPs are, if there are any, for cowl separation)