PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Mosquitoes
Thread: BOAC Mosquitoes
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 17:50
Sheena Cowan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pathfinder NE The early ball bearing runs - crew details.

New to this site!
My late father - Ian Dalgliesh was an R/O on the Leuchars to Sweden run.
He went on after the war to BEA and was for many years Chief Radio Officer, sadly he died aged 52 leaving so many questions about his war and life unanswered.
I am fortunate that my mother kept most of his career correspondence and when putting an album together came across a letter headed British Overseas Airways Corporation Airways House London SW1 Victoria 2323.
It was about the "closing of our base at Leuchars" and offered congratulations 'to you and all the others who have undertaken flying duties on the arduous and often hazardous wartime route to Sweden..." I was interested in the next paragraph "when the full story of B.O.A.C. activities during the war comes to be told you may rest assured that the Scandinavian operations will rank high amongst them..." The letter was dated 25 June 1945.
Curiosity now aroused, and having copied the many wartime entries on his passport started to search. Found your thread and others which gave me a good insight to this period of WW2. Would be interested if there are still any crew around who may remember my father, although he would have been 96 now.