PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 12:31
JobsaGoodun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I see it, if you're looking for more than a once daily service to LGW then your only option is EZY.

There are lots of ideas about other airlines but remember who has the slots. Vacant slots to facilitate any other airline operating double daily services that would suit the business traveller simply don't exist. NQY can talk to as many airlines as they like but I suspect only one (EZY) has a slot portfolio large enough that it can manipulate in order to provide services.

The other thing to bear in mind is that all the slots EZY will get from BE are early inbounds from remote locations. EZY's business model will not support a based aircraft in LGW and to over night a LGW crew in NQY on a daily basis will only serve to increase costs of operating the route. Regrettably, I think you'll find that if EZY do anything, it will be once a day, or potentially twice a day at best, but in my own view, the likelihood of an early flight to LGW beyond March 2014 is remote.

Should the blame be laid at the door of Flybe or NQY airport?. Personally I don't think so. Any regional operator would have had to absorb precisely the same fee and fuel cost increases as Flybe have and I doubt that they would have made things work any better. It's worth noting that in November 2013, LGW Airport announced a 4.8% increase in half yearly profits of £172million.

The blame can be laid squarely at lack of any coherant aviation policy in this country to protect regional connectivity to the capital, along with the excessive tax burden that successive governments have placed on the industry.