PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS imposter rumbled
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 11:21
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Apologies for thread drift and being late on parade, but for some reason I've only just seen the last few posts here, despite them being 3 years old! But here goes.

As for the war zone only going up to FL100, that was before SAM7b appeared on the scene - I believe (teeteringhead will be able to confirm) that forced things up to around 12000 feet agl.
More like 14 000 IIRC, (which may have included a few extra feet for Mum) but a better option was to fly around the threat or to go ULL

FL 140 was of course without oxygen, and possibly (probably!) with a curry, chappati and chai precariously balanced on the centre console!

The 7B arrived unexpectedly fairly late in the day, not long after that we were able to access the Western Jebel either from the sea or over friendly land. The Hunters could (allegedly) outturn the SAM, we just pickled the load, banged off the flares (only Schermulies, not proper "Lionels") wound off the throttle and spiralled down - it then went past us........ inshallah (I think "220"'s Strikie was lost to a 7A)

Don't know anything about height levels but my old chum John "Hector" Heathcote got shot down by a SAM and so did a chap called Peter Davis (unusual in that he had an MC from the Gurkhas, a DFC from the RAF and another gallantry medal from the Sultan).
"Hector" was indeed a victim of the 7B along with Roger Boyce in the same 205 (Huey).

Peter Davis was not "SAMmed", but shot down by small arms (or maybe a 12.7) in a 206 (Jet Ranger) in the central area IIRC (the area that is - deffo not a SAM).

Better late than never.