PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increasing jet aircraft range.
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 07:07
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourth root etc

So is that where 1.32 comes from as Vimd x1.32 = Vlrc?

I also learnt optimum altitude was best the best product of l/d x Mach for the 707 ... Which sort of lines up with the previous info.
On another fuel matter, when you plug a hold( racetrack) into an FMS it bugs up a few knots over green dot... Now this makes sense as the idea is to fly slightly faster to allow the speed to decay in the turns due to the drag increase and speed up on the straights staying above Vimd... But the idea used to be to leave the thrust constant , avoiding accelerating the engine thus using more fuel...
In modern jets FMS says ' set hold speed' and obviously the autothrust/ throttle then powers up and down as needed to hold constant target speed... Is this correct or counterintuitive to the whole reason hold speed is slightly increased in the first place?? Or am I missing something ... Should I technically be disconnecting A/T if I really wanted max endurance? No one has ever been able to,answer this question.. But some of the folks here seem pretty aero- knowledgable? WJA