PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ferry pilots
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:05
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
From the wording of Sgenie's first post, I gather that he was really enquiring about how to break in to the ferry business. Domestic deliveries are - as someone suggested - really just cross-country flights. If no money changes hands, any PPL could do these. Not that a 300 hour CPL should knock back the opportunity, should a domestic delivery be on offer.

Back to the REAL ferry business, I have not seen the latest Discovery Channel dramatisations. However, I did think that the 'Ice Pilots' series were pretty good - even down to some of the human rivalries that go on in any aviation enterprise.

As I mentioned, mechanical and language skills are very useful attributes for anyone wishing to break in to the business. For example my American mate (who in my view is THE best in the business) speaks fluent English, German and Spanish and can get by in four or five other languages including one that is Asian-based and the other Arabic-based. He has that very rare gift whereby he can listen to a foreign language for an hour or so then piece together enough phrases to make basic conversation. Put him in a foreign country for a week and he is gabbling on with the locals like a resident.
Mechanically, he holds a FAA I & A which is a cut above an A & P and allows him to certify the installation and removal of the ferry tank system. Then down the route if something breaks, he usually finds a way to fix it. He has even changed entire engines in the bush.
A high discomfort and patience threshold is also necessary. The ability to sit in an economy seat of some shabby third world airline for hours to position somewhere, take minimum rest in a flea-ridden hotel, wolf down a tin of cold baked beans (which you always carry with you you in case the local food is too dodgy to trust), then head off to do battle with the afore-mentioned officialdom without losing your rag are mandatory qualifications.
As for flying ability, forget endorsement training. If it is below 5700 kg you are expected to just get in it and fly it. Fortunately the sectors are usually long enough for you to have worked out most stuff before you do your first landing. If it is above 5700 kg and you have 'meat in the seat' of unknown or doubtful ability, your diplomatic skills and CRM will be put severely to the test at times. Doubly so, if like me you are challenged in foreign languages and the other guy only speaks Swahili.

i did just enough ferry work to know that it was not the career for me, but I suppose there will always be pilots who seek something less dangerous than bomb disposal but more challenging than flying regular routes. I dips me lid to them.