PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain Mutt Summers, Vickers Test Pilot.
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:39
luffers79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Mutt Summers, Vickers Test Pilot.

THIS IS A COPY OF THE SUBJECT I HAVE ORIGINALLY POSTED IN MILITARY AIRCREW SECTION THIS EVENING. There are several replies there.

I am surprised that a book has never been written about Captain "Mutt" Summers (Chief Test Pilot, Vickers Aviation) considering he flew the first flights of the Spitfire, Wellington,Viscount, Valiant - & about 40(?) others.

I was lucky enough to bump into him at Farnborough when I was on an ATC initiative test from Bristol, about 1950. Indirectly he was probably responsible for my subsequent career as a pilot (RAF & civil). He was a friendly avuncular man & when he heard that I was hopefull trying to obtain the signatures of 3 test pilots - including Bill Pegg (Bristols Brabazon pilot) he said, "No problem - jump in the car (a Riley) & drove me across the runway to the test pilots tent where he asked them to autograph a photograph of the first (? G-AMAV) BEA production Viscount aircraft in flight - which he was flying - and gave it to me. Then he organised a buffet lunch & let me stay there for the flying display. I was 16 years of age & sitting down with John Cunningham, Wimpy Wade, Neville Duke, Mike Lithgow & others !! (HONEST !!).

I´m pretty sure that I received an ATC flying scholarship, about a year later because of that day & my luck of meeting him !!

Thanks Mutt !!!

PS.
I believe he died just a few years afterwards, only.

The only info I have ever found online is at:-

Any info on "Mutt" Summers

Last edited by luffers79; 23rd May 2013 at 21:43. Reason: Slight text correction