PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR pop-up clearance
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2003, 23:42
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR pop-up clearance

How does one go about requesting an airborne IFR clearance in the UK? Is it just a simple request to the ATCU that I'm talking to, or if not talking to anyone, a request on first contact with say the destination aerodrome / approach control?

Example 1, say I left Plymouth in VMC bound for Bournemouth, but half way back the weather / visibility deteriorates, so I want to shoot the ILS at Bournemouth. In this case most of the flight is class G airspace and so no clearance is strictly nescessary, so what would you do, continue the flight and on first contact with Bournemouth approach request an IFR clearance into the zone? [assume that I didn't file for IFR in PLymouth]

Example 2, say I'm routing from L2K to Southampton, I leave L2K in VMC, however mid-channel I decide the weather is getting marginal, would I just request an IFR into SOU from London Info? or could I have filed a composite flight plan in L2K, indicating VFR up until mid-channel then IFR inbound to SOU [I am assuming IMC rating therefore not valid in France]?

Thanks in advance, most of the IFR flight I've done in the Uk has been on a flight plan...

Rgds
EA