PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor's degree getting me nowhere - advice needed!!
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:02
philw492

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at the same situation as you, where I shall be graduating this time next year and wanting to go into the maintenance side. You need to get a licence, that's the first step.

I know there is a college in Queensland called Queensland Aerospace Pty Ltd, where you can get your licence from as I have looked at it myself as I want to move out of the UK upon graduation due to jobs. Also contact airlines as most have apprenticeships for engineers from what I have found, however, I've found that a lot don't like graduates for an LAE role.

One relatively successful route I have found is looking into the private jet side of aviation as they need LAE's and therefore they (in the UK at least) put people through apprenticeships with third party companies.

Be prepared to send out a lot of emails! Most of the time you'll get no reply but if you're persistant then you'll find some people are keen to help.

Look at the CASA website and search for Part-66 licence and that'll give you all the info you need to start off on the licenced route!

Hope this helps, I've picked all this up from a post that I made on here a few months ago along with the replies from my emails and also on placements during uni holidays.

The link below is for the post I made, it's obviously aimed at the UK but apart from airlines/companies the info is pretty much the same from what I've found.

http://www.pprune.org/engineers-tech...engineers.html