PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 22nd May 2013, 19:19
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

Only a couple of 'juicy' morsels from the Gobbledock overnight, claims he found them on Willyleaks but I reckon he was in a pub somewhere. Apparently, McComic is going be in Cairns trying to flog part 161 to the Heathen (code for helicopter menders) while the 500 page report, subject of much press interest is sliced and diced. GD advises that we are to watch the ABC at 7 30, seems the 'ills of society' are to get a little more air time. This of course could all be bollocks; but, if the 7 30 Report is going to interview Pete – I'm staying in to watch.

Fantome - I cribbed this from Wiki – the motto triggered the memory.

Seneca: "Piso's justice"

In De Ira (On Anger), Book I, Chapter XVIII, Seneca tells of Gnaeus Piso, a Roman governor and lawmaker, when he was angry, ordering the execution of a soldier who had returned from a leave of absence without his comrade, on the ground that if the man did not produce his companion, he had presumably killed the latter.

As the condemned man was presenting his neck to the executioner's sword, there suddenly appeared the very comrade who was supposedly murdered. The centurion overseeing the execution halted the proceedings and led the condemned man back to Piso, expecting a reprieve. But Piso mounted the tribunal in a rage, and ordered the three soldiers to be executed. He ordered the death of the man who was to have been executed, because the sentence had already been passed; he also ordered the death of the centurion who was in charge of the original execution, for failing to perform his duty; and finally, he ordered the death of the man who had been supposed to have been murdered, because he had been the cause of death of two innocent men.

In subsequent versions of this legend, this principle became known as "Piso’s justice", a term that characterize sentences that are carried out or passed of retaliation — whose intentions are technically correct, but morally wrong — and this could be construed as a negative interpretation of the meaning of Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

Last edited by Kharon; 22nd May 2013 at 19:21. Reason: Waiting for the bloody Muzac to stop.