PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Development Loan refused, why?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2001, 01:46
Mr Benn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Can't believe all the problems you guys are having. I have taken out 2 CDLs in the past, one I paid back at the end of the course by getting a lower interest loan and paying back the £8k, thus giving myself two years of 0% interest payments. Both times the loan was through the Co-op in Skelmersdale. Of course, you have to provide a bit of info for them. I just sent a letter in with my application explaining what I was doing, what I would end up qualified for, etc. Of course, you can bend the truth a little. If you are doing your ATPLs or CPL then say that you are doing an Airline Pilot Licence. They don't know you also need an IR and hours and flying training. It looks really good. Then mention in the letter that you airline pilots generally start on salaries of around £35k+ (don't mention turbo prop FOs get a lot less).
Explain why you need to borrow the money (difficult if you already have a huge salary and own a house).
Also, check out your credit rating before applying. And always tell the bank about any CCJs.
That is it!
Both times I just sent the forms and letters and told them I needed the money fairly quickly, and within about 2 weeks, new account set up and money in it.
I like the sound of the HSBC one too, but would be worth getting the CDL first then paying it back in full before the first repayment is due, by using HSBC money.
Another tip is to make your living costs (full time course), books, travel costs, licence fees, exam fees, etc. as high as possible as these are paid direct to you. You can only claim for 80% of course fee so if you have say £3000 of living costs, etc. then you'll easily make the £5000 for the course cost. Don't say the course cost is ridiculously high or they'll want to know how you are funding it.
Worth adding in the letter to the bank that you have saved a little money already to pay the remainder of the course fee.
Easy.
Boy, I hope you guys don't have this sort of problem with job applications.