PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory retirement age of 65 for 'hire & reward'
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:35
pedds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compulsory retirement age of 65 for 'hire & reward'

There seem to be no threads on the subject of CRA of 65 with respect to flying for 'hire or reward'.

Having done a little research about six months ago I got feedback from the Secrerary of State for Transport himself, the CAA...and my MP, Vince Cable. Cable was very supportive of my querying the right of the CAA (or EASA for that matter) to restrict the CRA to 65 for pilots. The Secretary of State & the CAA were not so supportive.

If anyone is interested I can publish the correspondence here. It will only be a matter of time before someone challenges this upper age limit in the European court as ageist...and knowledgeable legal opinion would seem to be of the view that the 65 year restriction is indefensible in law.

This may be why there is a lot of talk in BA, I am told, about increasing the CRA to 67 at least. Apparently in Qantas there is no age limit but after 65 you are restricted to short haul work. There are no age restrictions, it seems, in Australasia as long as the Class 1 medical is retained. The USA only has an age limit of 65 for 'scheduled' flying under Part 121 of the FAA rules.

Any comments?