PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easus Partitioning
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:50
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To dig up an old thread for my own purposes:

Background
W7 x74 Professional SP1.
SSD partitioned as C (o/s and apps) and D (all documents including Thunderbird e-mail profile and contents).
Allows me to restore C to a system image without touching documents, and likewise to restore documents from backup without touching the software installation.

The challenge
C now too small even after cleanup that was as invasive as I am prepared to go.
Stacks of unused space on D, so I have unallocated 10GB to reallocate to C.
The problem is, I have unmovable files in the way, so I can't: Think C-D-Unallocated, not C-Unallocated-D in terms of visual presentation in Disk Manager

What I have tried, or not
I have trialed a truckload of free partition utilities (including Easus prior to finding this thread) and despite looking promising from the posts in which I have found them, none have actually helped.
My existing (paid and licensed) Acronis toolkit refuses to help on an x64 machine.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition apparently came closest - but them trumped up with words to the effect of "and now pay for the full edition if you want to go through with this".
Partition Magic looks hopeful from what I have read but is not an option because if it is going to cost (which it will), I will simply do what I don't want to do; Unallocate D, reallocate 10GB to C, recreate D from what remains of the unallocated space, and restore my files to D from backup.

Yes, it is a piece of cake and but a few minutes work to do this but it is a workaround to a system limitation rather than an Engineer's solution that one day might be useful to have up my sleeve.

Solutions, please?

TVM,
TLXV