PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash Caernarfon
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:43
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAIB - Who do they recruit?

Hi Guys,

I am interested in Shaggy Sheep's last comment about being unimpressed by the accuracy/impartiality of an AAIB investigation.

As we all know, the AAIB has the duty to investigate all flying accidents, whether the aircraft involved has been a B747 or a Curry Wot.

My guess is that the people the AAIB would tend to recruit as investigators will mostly, if not all, have come from a background of 'professional' flying, such as the military or CAT.

Perhaps few of them will also be, or have been, ordinary flying club members and thus acquainted with private pilots or our kind of flying.

In my experience, 'professional' pilots not uncommonly regard the private pilot as a not very competent dabbler with minimal training whose skills are always going to be suspect.

If this attitude was to permeate the thinking of an AAIB investigation into a GA accident, it might have unfortunate consequences for the outcome of the investigation.

'Anybody throw some light upon this? Are there any AAIB investigators reading Pprune who could comment?

Regards,

BP.