PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ Pilots Scope Clause
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2003, 19:44
Who killed Kenny?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharfted Groundhog, with all due respect mate I think you've missed the point. This scope clause does affect more that just Freedom and Airnz. Cast your mind back to a well published collapse of a major domestic jet operator in recent times. Who kept the 146's going whilst there was a temporary shortfall of seats, Mt Cook (although I reckon that it would have best for all involved if the 146 was chucked into kids playgrounds and concreted to the spot!)
If the scope clause had been in place then the 146 couldn't have continued and pilots and hosties wouldn't have had work.
Look at my original thread. ATR has stopped research and development, and maybe not in the next couple of years, but the time will come when production will cease. The Dash 8 400 is a big fast thirsty dog and I believe it's on the way out before it even really got started. What else is there? The SAAB is getting older whichever model who want to pick (production ended in '97)
Barbers Pole, yep you're right the ATR does make heaps of money...at the moment. Remember the ATR is an Airbus (ie eurotrash!!) The time will come when the costs of ongoing maintenance vs fleet modernisation will lead to its demise. I have heard from an inside and reliable source (I sound like a reporter!) that the business case for modern RJ'S on the NZ tourist network does in fact stack up and the running cost of an ATR sized RJ is not significantly higher than the ATR that it may replace.