PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2013, 23:13
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offshore,

The "Logiebaird" terminal/pan, is bottom right of the runway. 30 years ago would put you right at the time we had the runway resurfaced (the start of my tour there). Up to that point VASS had handled the Loganair Trislander on the VASS Pan (up to the left of the Gaydon Hangar on the photo). I believe that during the resurfacing Loganair were allowed a direct access gate to their terminal from the road. That would fit with your memory of driving on to the airfield. You were lucky with your luxury travel with Loganair, I well remember seeing the Trislander off one afternoon. It was so full one of the pax sat in the co pilots seat, with his suitcase on his lap. We had just got back to our crewroom when the squawk box from ATC informed us that Loganair was returning to the pan. When he got in the pilot asked if we could look after the passengers suitcase for the next flight as, he couldn't pull the stick back far enough to take off with it on his knee. As he already had 2 people on board more than he had seat belts for, we were happy to lighten his load. Happy Days, we sent his suitcase on the next mornings aircraft, it was empty (the aircraft, not the suitcase).

Anyway, this must now be guilty of serious "driftus threadus" and well worthy of a wrist slap. I'm glad you had a good time on the Mull, I certainly did. Mods, Thanks for your patience.

Smudge